Monday, November 7, 2011

Oatmeal Pumpkin Muffins with Walnut Streusel Topping

I had the rest of a can of pumpkin bouncing around in my freezer and I saw this recipe in VegNews-Oct. 2011 so I just had to make it. We eat alot of muffins for breakfast and I refuse to feel guilty! I really don't have to feel guilty because I am not using the embryos of unborn chickens or taking the milk out of the mouth of a calf. (Sorry, got up on my soapbox a little bit there!) Well, anyway~here is a delectable muffin from Jennifer Whiteford of the "It Ain't Meat Babe" blog.


Exta delicious slathered with Earth Balance margarine!

Makes 12 muffins
For the streusel topping:
1/4 C flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3/4 C chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp safflower oil ( I used canola oil)
For the muffins:
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 C soymilk
1 C rolled oats
3/4 C canned pumpkin
1 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger ( I used 1 tsp "The Ginger People Organic Minced Ginger" in the jar)
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 C safflower oil (used canola oil)
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C applesauce

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees & place paper liners (or grease) the cups of a 12 cup muffin pan. In small bowl, mix all streusel ingredients. Set aside.
2. In medium bowl, add vinegar to soymilk. Once milk curdles, add oats & pumpkin. Set aside. In separate medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger (if using jarred ginger add to oats & pumpkin mixture),  nutmeg and allspice.
3. To oatmeal mixture, add safflower oil (canola oil), brown sugar and applesauce and stir well. Mix dry ingredients into wet and stir to just combine. Divide batter evenly into muffin tins and top with streusel topping. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment