Monday, November 14, 2011

Faux Ham~pg. 286; Basic Instant Gluten~pg. 284

La Dolce Vegan! Challenge:

Whoo Hoo! I have created an alternative to the scalloped potatoes (cow milk) & ham (pig) I always used to make.

I sliced my faux ham into chunks before simmering in the broth. For the scalloped potatoes I made a basic white sauce and added chopped onions. Here is the recipe:

1/4 C vegan margarine
1/2 C chopped onion
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 C. unsweetened soymilk
6 peeled, sliced russet potatoes
salt & pepper to taste
       Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil baking dish. Melt margarine in large skillet and saute' onions until translucent. Whisk in flour until bubbling then whisk in soymilk. Cook until thickened; stirring occasionally. Add salt & pepper to taste. Layer 1/2 of the sliced potatoes and 1/2 of the faux ham in baking dish. Repeat. Pour white sauce evenly over potatoes and faux ham. Cover dish with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes. It is done when potatoes can be easily poked with a fork.


Okay, this will be one of my go-to recipes from now on!


1 comment:

  1. I LIKE THIS IDEA BECAUSE I NEVER KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH GLUTEN RECIPES AFTER I COOK THEM .THIS RECIPE IS A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete