Thursday, December 22, 2011

Vesanto's Choco-Currant Cranberry Squares~pg. 64

La Dolce Vegan! Challenge:

No, I did not use currants in my recipe! I can't find currants anywhere so I used raisins. Here is the difference in raisins, sultanas and currants. Now ya know! (from about.com) 
  • Raisins are dried white grapes. They are dried to produce a dark, sweet fruit. The grapes used are usually Moscatel.
  • Sultanas are also dried white grapes but from seedless varieties. They are golden in color and tend to be plumper, sweeter and juicier than other raisins. Also referred to as Golden Raisins in the US.
  • Currants are dried, black, seedless grapes. They are dried to produce a black, tiny shriveled - yet packed with flavor - fruit.
I liked the flavor of these squares but they were very fragile and fell apart easily. The cornflakes make them a little chewy, too. Next time I'll just use rice crispies.  Happy Winter Solstice/Yule!!

No comments:

Post a Comment