Monday, September 9, 2013

Lentil Quinoa Taco 'Soup'



I had good intentions to cook and blog while in Sedona this past weekend; but who can think about cooking and blogging when you have scenery like this to look at?!! (Also, no reliable internet connection)
I did make my favorite Creamy Curried Veggies since I had some of the ingredients available at the cabin. 

We're still working hard on fixing up 'the old girl'. I was cleaning out the kitchen cupboards and found a few of my late grandma's cooking utensils and I knew I had to display them:


Wow! It's a percolator coffepot; don't see those anymore! There was also this metal strainer; I like to use old stuff but I just had to replace this with a new one to use.


These really remind me of Grandma Violet. She loved to cook and bake. I can still see her scooping out sugar and flour with these measuring cups. They have a special place in the kitchen now.

This was in preparation for making this recipe at the cabin. Oops! Didn't get it done; too much to do. I even bought another Crock Pot for the cabin (okay, at last count I have five now-hehe)

cilantro, chopped tomato, shredded romaine lettuce, Daiya cheddar, chopped green onions

This recipe is from Kathy Hester's cookbook Vegan Slow Cooking for Two; she shares the recipe here on her website. It is supposed to be a filling for tacos but I checked it as it was cooking and I thought the mixture was getting too thick so I added extra water. Now we are eating taco soup! Tastes just as delicious with all the toppings on top and lots of Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce. We used warmed up rolled whole wheat flour tortillas to dip in the soup.


Lentil Quinoa Taco 'Soup'
We finished the whole pot. I love this cookbook; no leftovers!









1 comment: