Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Gimme Chimis~pg 128; Cinnamon Lime Quinoa w/Apricots & Almonds~pg 156

VegCookbookClub July recipes from eat, drink & be vegan by Dreena Burton:


Gimme Chimi mixture-lots of great spices in here; never thought of using cinnamon and cloves along with chili powder, oregano and cumin! The recipe calls for tempeh, but I'm allergic to the fermented tofu so I used Morning Star Farms Chik'n Strips cut into pieces. I didn't feel like frying AND baking my chimichanga so I just rolled the mixture up into warmed flour tortillas and called it a burrito. I topped each burrito with cilantro and Daiya cheddar shreds. Love the flavors in this and it's easy to make. 

 Cinnamon Lime Quinoa- I probably would have never made this recipe but Dreena suggested it as a side along with the Gimme Chimis. I used rainbow quinoa; it seems to have a little more texture than just plain white quinoa. A very interesting combination of lime, tamari (Bragg's), cinnamon, nutmeg, dried apricots and almonds! It complemented the spicy burritos with a sweet, salty, citrusy flavor. 


Cinnamon Lime Quinoa with Gimme Chimis (Burritos)

No comments:

Post a Comment