Sunday, February 19, 2012

Spinach Enchiladas

Lately I've been craving some of the recipes I used to make before becoming vegan. I got my trusty old recipe box out and was remembering all the fun family meals that came out of that box.


This box has been with me for almost 30 years! It's been repainted a few times and it holds alot of precious memories. I have several hand-written recipe cards from my Grandma and Great-Grandma, both who have passed on. They gave me their love of cooking and baking for family and friends.  We had a Mexican Fiesta Party for some friends visiting from New York last night and I knew I wanted to make my spinach enchiladas so I would have at least one thing to eat. I also made homemade salsa with tortilla chips, Quinoa Black Bean Salad from La Dolce Vegan! and Triple Ginger Gingersnaps. I had already veganized these enchiladas and made them several times so I knew they were delicious. But this time when I went to buy the ingredients I happened to read the label on the can of mushroom soup-ugh-of course it had milk in it. So now I had to find a substitute for that. I'm not saying these are healthy or low-cal but they sure are yummy! So they're good for an occasional treat.

SPINACH ENCHILADAS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

*Prepare and let cool-
1 pkg. Simply Organic Mushroom Sauce mix (set aside)

*Mix following ingredients in large bowl-
1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach (10 oz) thawed and drained
1 pkg. Knorr Vegetable Recipe Mix
2 C. Tofutti Sour Supreme sour cream (or other vegan sour cream)
1  4 oz. can chopped green chilis
1/2 C. chopped onion
1 C. vegan shredded cheese ( I used Daiya-half cheddar and half mozzarella)


*Roll mixture into-
1 1/2 dozen soft taco size flour tortillas (I have to use 2 pans depending on how full you fill tortillas)
   Lay in 9x13 pan

*Mix together-
1 C. vegan sour cream
prepared mushroom sauce
     Spread over enchiladas and bake for 30 minutes. At the last 5 minutes add-
 1 C. shredded vegan cheese to melt. Enjoy!


 I think I'll have some leftovers for breakfast! I'm looking forward to veganizing a few of my other favorite recipes.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment