Friday, February 3, 2012

Middle Eastern Feast!

I have been trying to clean my pantry and freezer out and discovered I had four cans of lentils I needed to use. I found a great recipe using bulgur and lentils in Vegan Express by Nava Atlas. It reminded me of the mjeddrah I used to make with brown rice and lentils. I found that recipe in the first book I read about vegetarianism in 1983-Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lappe'. I was a birkenstock-wearing, La Leche League mama when I learned for the first time that babies and humans in general, didn't need dairy milk to survive. Who'd a thunk it?! My precious little girl never had a bottle of formula, dairy milk, jarred baby food (I made my own!) and wore cloth diapers. She grew up to be a beautiful young woman. She has a successful career, a wonderful husband and two little babies of her own now. Wow, I'm a proud mama!

This is Nava Atlas' Bulgur with Lentils, Parsley and Raisins.

Middle Eastern Chopped Salad

The chopped salad has tomatoes, cucumber, orange bell pepper, olives, green onions, parsley and toasted pine nuts tossed with olive oil and lemon. Bright and refreshing!


I served the bulgur and salad with warm pita bread and a basic hummus from The Engine 2 Diet. The hummus was rather plain because it had no added oil or tahini but it tasted good with everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment