Friday, August 30, 2013

Smoky Collard Greens (Chard) with Vegan Bacon ~ pg. 281

VegCookbookClub August recipes from Betty Goes Vegan by Annie & Dan Shannon:

Aww~I missed posting on my 2nd year blog anniversary yesterday. Well Happy Anniversary to me today! I know I just have a basic simple blog but it serves my purposes well. I originally started it to join in the La Dolce Vegan Challenge and cook through that cookbook in a year. I made almost all of the recipes! Now I use the blog as a way to keep track of what I've cooked and to easily find a recipe by looking up an ingredient and what cookbook it came from. It also helps me stay accountable to what I put into my mouth! So, here's to another year of great vegan cooking! 

I was so excited to try this recipe because I love collard greens. Well, I had all my ingredients ready and grabbed the bag of greens out of the fridge. After unwrapping them I discovered I had inadvertently picked up green chard at the store instead of the collard greens. Duh! I decided to try this anyway and I had great results. Of course the chard doesn't need to boil for 30 minutes like the collard greens so I adjusted the recipe directions. 



I sauteed the onion, spices and my Pig Out Bacony Bits in the olive oil first and then added the chard and 1 tsp. lemon juice (I didn't have any white wine). 


These are crunchy little bacony tasting bits!


Since the chard didn't have the bulk of the collard greens there was plenty of seasoning on these. I didn't need to add any more salt or pepper. I'm glad I had chard instead of the collard greens. What a happy mistake. I found a new way to cook chard now! Delicious!


Smoky Green Chard with Vegan Bacon, roasted asparagus, Gardein Chik'n Scallopini and loaded baked potatoes (Earth Balance margarine, Daiya cheddar, vegan sour cream, chopped green onions and Bac-o's.)


I used this awesome seasoning on my roasted asparagus. This is made locally here in Arizona. The Slavo Salt tastes great on everything! 



No comments:

Post a Comment