Sunday, August 18, 2013

Corned Beefless Brisket and Cabbage ~ pg. 147

VegCookbookClub August recipes from Betty Goes Vegan by Annie & Dan Shannon:

This is the first recipe I wanted to try when I got this book several months ago and now I'm finally making it. It reminded me of the corned beef and cabbage my mom used to make for us; especially the picture next to page 160 (except the corned beef was a reddish color!) 


Warning-this is not a quick fix meal. Those are my kind of recipes but I just had to try this. I've never bought pickling spice before. It has mustard seed, cinnamon, ginger, bay leaf, red pepper, caraway, allspice, black pepper, coriander and cloves-wow! Very fragrant; I kept wanting to smell the bundle of spices and then I would start sneezing. Duh. The recipe calls for dumping the spices right into the marinating beefless tips and also into the broth and veggies. My mom suggested I put them in cheesecloth and I agreed. I didn't feel like chewing on coriander seeds, etc. This idea worked really well. The flavors mingled with the ingredients and didn't leave any chunks of spice behind. 

cabbage, red potatoes and red onion


Corned Beefless Brisket and Cabbage
I garnished the dish with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar like the recipe suggested and it tasted delicious. The pickling spices and vegan beef broth gave the veggies a nice spicy, sweet, rich flavor. It is somewhat reminiscent of Mom's corned beef and cabbage but will never be quite the same. My hubby really liked this-he said it's a real "meat and potatoes" meal. Score!



2 comments:

  1. Yum! This is the first one I saw that I wanted to prepare too. I've been to lazy though and have been making casseroles instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made so much we had leftovers for a couple days!

    ReplyDelete