Friday, March 6, 2015

5-Spice Fried Rice with Sweet Potatoes

 I love the flavors in Chinese 5-spice powder and this recipe from Thug Kitchen looked so good I had to try it. First I made a batch of their recipe for "Basic Big Pot of Brown Rice." You saute the dry rice in a little oil until it smells nutty. I've never done that before with brown rice. It does smell nutty! This makes four cups of rice which is what you need for the Fried Rice recipe. 


The fried rice has sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, green onions, and some arugula. 


We needed a little 'meaty' addition so I added some cooked Beyond Meat Chicken-Free Strips.

~5-Spice Fried Rice with Sweet Potatoes~
I loved the flavor of this fried rice but I guess I really tested myself and my brown rice allergy. A little while after eating a big bowl I started the usual allergic itching! Ugh!!! Disgusting! What's the deal? I can tolerate gluten but not yeast. I can tolerate bulgur wheat but not barley or brown rice. *Sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment