Sunday, December 15, 2013

Curry and Brussels Sprouts

Vegcookbookclub December 2013 ~
Curry and brussels sprouts?! These two recipes shouldn't go together but surprisingly they worked well and tasted delicious.
Eat, Drink & Be Vegan:  Zucchini Chickpea Tomato Curry
Crazy Sexy Kitchen:        Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios & Cipollini Onions


Love the flavors of this curry. Lots of spices~garlic, ginger, curry powder, fenugreek (a new one for me), coriander and cumin seeds, turmeric and cloves. The aroma in the kitchen as these were sauteeing was intoxicating! Yukon Gold potatoes, zucchini, green beans and chickpeas added the bulk to this recipe. I served it over brown rice. I thought it would be too spicy but the hubby actually liked it. The cilantro and fresh squeezed lime really accented all the flavors. 


Two of my favorite condiments~cilantro and lime!!



This brussels sprouts recipe had several substitutions. First, I pre-cooked the sprouts in the microwave a little bit so they would be done after roasting; I don't like hard sprouts. I couldn't find raw pistachios so I used toasted pine nuts. I tossed them in after roasting was done. I had no idea what cipollini onions were so I used shallots. I just read about cipollini onions and wish I had tried to find some. It sounds like they would have been sweet and carmelized. I used marsala cooking wine instead of the sherry which gave everything a sweeter flavor. Even with all the subs, these roasted brussels sprouts were yummy. I want to try this again with all the original ingredients.


No comments:

Post a Comment